10 October 2006

Love and Hate, part II

shards

I love to go out early in the morning, and look up at the sky and see millions of stars, undiluted by the lights of civilization. To just sit there alone or with friends, and marvel at the enormity and magnificence of the universe. To see the Pleiades shining or Polaris. Or stay up late at night, and lay in my sleeping bag and watch for shooting stars, or peer into the blackness between the stars and wonder how far you could go into that space.

I hate it when people tell me I'm grumpy. I usually don't think of myself as a grumpy person, so when people tell me that I'm grumpy, well, it makes me grumpy. And I hate being grumpy. I like to be happy and cheerful and positive and optimistic. Usually I am. At least in my own mind. Until someone tells me that I'm not, and then I wonder if maybe I'm always grumpy and just think I'm happy, and that makes me grumpy too.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You're not grumpy. You always, always, never-fail, make me smile. I'm glad it's almost November and I'll get to see you and smile!

Unknown said...

Editor's note: "people" and "someone" are most likely references to author's younger brother, Justin, who indeed, often tells the author that he is being grumpy, and, thus, makes the author much grumpier.

Anonymous said...

i love to be anonymous! i'm pretty sure you will figure out who i am though in like two seconds. okay, more like three...or five even...haha, will you ever figure it out? i just want to let you know that your being grumpy actually may make other people happy. twisted? i think not...okay, maybe a little bit. for instance, when i look back on this summer, a few key phrases come to mind. such as: "Que la fuente?" oh my word...that doesn't really mean what the fountain...it means, what the fire. oh well. "hi ho hi ho its off to work we go," "swiss feet," and "greg, stop being so grumpy!" so, you being "grumpy" actually brings back memories of a great summer. and the reason we all like to tell you you're grumpy is cuz it's one of the few things we've found that will actually annoy you to some degree. its funny though because whenever you're "grumpy" you're still laughing. so really, the rough translation of "Greg, stop being so grumpy!" is "Greg, stop being so flippin happy and okay with everything, we want to see what happens when the pumpkin soup boils over and the reverse placebo affect takes place." nope...that's not really what it means either. i just wanted to use the phrase "reverse placebo". we're just glad we've found something that bothers you, cuz everyone should know a few of their friends' pet peeves. anyways, have a fabulously grumpy day! :-)