21 October 2006

Love and Hate, part III

shards

I love cheese. Ricotta, Asiago, Parmesan Reggiano, Havarti, Bleu, Pepper Jack, Mozarella, Strong aged Cheddar, Cottage, Feta, Goat, Provolone, Cream, and oh so many other kinds still left to try. Cheese is so versatile. It's delicious: coating a pizza, stuffed in ravioli, melted in a grilled cheese sandwich, spread on a toasted bagel, sprinkled over pasta, layered in a burger, draped over baked potatoes, suspended in a salad dressing, or simply with a baguette and a pear, or even by itself. Mmmm. I might be a vegan, if not for cheese.

I hate killing things. I don't like mouse traps, and I don't like fly swatters. I don't like stomping on spiders or squelching centipedes. I don't kill mosquitos when they bite me, and I think killing snakes is unnecessary. If I find a bug in my room, I leave it where it is, or I take it outside. I wouldn't ever want to hunt. I'm not saying these things are wrong or that you shouldn't. Just that I don't like to, and if I'm around, I'll try to convince you to let the critters live.

2 comments:

Kevin and Jackie Okimi said...

yup....cheese tends to be a pretty important one for vegans.....but you're almost there....

you can say, "I'm vegan, except I eat cheese"....just like I say, "I'm vegetarian, except I eat steak!" :)

K.

Anonymous said...

i'm supposed to be studying right now because i have an exam on monday and i'm going to a dixie chicks concert on sunday, but i just wanted to say hi old friend. i still visit your space frequently, so it feels like a see you more than the once a year i actually run into you. i also love cheese, yum!!! It's too bad that my old roommate Kate isn't SDA and you don't live in Canada anymore because u too would really get along - she once told me that she had a chat with the spider in our shower and that they'd come to an agreement that she wouldn't sqaush it if it promised not to land on our heads when we were in there. Anyway, back to the books, hope to see you at christmas!!
Kristen Brown