30 September 2006

3 Riders

shards

Driving down Highway 82 yesterday, on my way to visit Angela and Darcy Force and Athena Meraña, I passed three bicyclists. They had their sleeping pads and other gear strapped onto the back of their bikes, and were riding up a long, energy-sapping hill. For some reason, I thought it would be nifty to leave them a note of encouragement. So I stopped by the side of the road, and taped a message and two energy bars to the safety rail.



It makes me laugh to think of their reaction. I wasn't going to put my name on the note, but then I thought, Hey, why not? Maybe they'll look me up and send me a note telling me that I'm a little weird. Or maybe one day, I'll meet one of them, and they'll start telling me a story about how they were on a cross-country bike trip, and some odd person left them a couple of energy bars taped to a safety rail . . .

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you're special. i mean that. really. in a good way. maybe. no really. you're cool and spontaneous. maybe a little eccentric but that's cool too.

Carissa said...

i like it.

Anonymous said...

Thats so freakin' cool of you. What a good idea.

Kristina said...

I love that idea. If that happened to me, I would be totally appreciative. Don't forget to let us know if they contact you.

And hey, what's with not giving me a return address?

Anonymous said...

sometimes i'm a biker and sometimes i'm not. but if i were a biker right now, i would hope to be riding along a highway where you happened to be driving or perhaps hitch hiking because you rock and you probably would make my day as much as i'm sure you made all of theirs.

Jeff said...

I wish I could say I was/am one of those bikers. But I can't. However, I can say that is awesome. So I will. That is awesome.